Running Barefoot - Amy Harmon ”True love suffereth long, and is kind; true love envieth not. True love vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up. True love does not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil. True love rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth. True love beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.”

Someone recommended this book from one of the groups I belong to. When I looked it up & saw it was from the same author of “A Different Blue” (which I loved) I just knew I had to read it. This one didn’t disappoint. Amy Harmon just has a way with words that just draws you in.

The story between Josie and Samuel spans through 10 years, in which we witness what started out as friendship blossom into something more. The characters were so well developed that I found myself being emotionally attached to Josie & Samuel. Their connection was quite evident especially on an intellectual level. I thoroughly enjoyed the incorporation of several classic novels, the Navajo history, the biblical references and the influence of classical music and how it was an integral part of the story.

There were times where I wished the pace of the story would pick up a little bit. But overall, I thought it was a memorable coming of age story, not just for Josie but also for Samuel.